Are you Artisitic? Do you like to draw or paint? Are you just a creative person? Art Club meets on Wednesdays from 5:30-7:00pm and has a limited number of spaces, so if you have a child between the ages of 7-15 that would like to participate in this class please see Kathleen.
National Fine Arts Program: Annual Search for Top Artists
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Derry is one of more than 4,000 Clubs across the country joining in a search to identify talented young artists. The competition is part of Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s (BGCA) National Fine Arts Exhibit program. BGCA’s National Fine Arts Exhibit program is a comprehensive initiative promoting young people’s creativity and encouraging artistic skills and cultural enrichment.
As a participant in the National Fine Arts Exhibit program, the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Derry will submit members’ artwork in four age divisions and 10 categories. Selected artwork will be screened at the regional level and a limited number will be sent to BGCA’s Atlanta headquarters for judging at the national level. Thirty-seven national winners will be named and their artwork displayed at special events throughout the year. Winning artists will also receive an engraved plaque and letter of congratulations from BGCA President Roxanne Spillett. Regional finalists will receive a certificate of participation.
Only artwork from girls and boys who have been Club members for at least three months before the local exhibit is eligible. A teacher or parent must verify that artwork created outside the Club was done entirely by a Club member. Artwork from a kit, tracing, follow-the-dot, ready-made patterns or cartoon characters are not eligible.
Artwork must not exceed 30 inches by 40 inches. Artwork that exceeds size requirements will not be judged.
Artwork must be entered in the age group that corresponds to the age of the member when the work was completed, with the exception of the Group Project category. There is no theme with the Group Project category or any category. The age groups are as follows:
- 9 or younger
Club members must have completed all artwork within the last calendar year
Artwork must be entered in one of the following categories:
- Monochromatic Drawing: created with pencil, charcoal, pen and ink, crayons, etc., in one color or hue
- Multicolored Drawing: created with pencil, markers, pen and ink, crayons, etc., in more than one color
- Pastel: created with chalk or pastels
- Watercolor: created with tempera, pan-type or tube water-based paints
- Oil or Acrylic: created with oil- or acrylic-based paints
- Print Making: created by transferring an impression of a composition from one surface to paper (e.g., silk screening, woodcut, etching, lithography, etc.)
- Mixed Media: created by combining any of the other categories on a two-dimensional surface (e.g., an etching colored with pencils)
- Collage: created by applying two or more materials on a raised two-dimensional surface (e.g., gluing different shapes of paper together)
- Sculpture: created with material to make a nonfunctional, three-dimensional object. May include wood-carved statues, pottery, etc.
- Group Project: created by a group of Club members together. This category does not need to fall into any of the specific age groups. One piece per organization will be judged. Entries can be of any medium. Due to size restrictions, photographs may also be submitted for this category.